Roasted Chicken and Veggies Dinner
Posted by juggernautPT on February 06, 2013
Roasting a whole chicken with veggies is a wonderful meal and is much simpler to prepare than you might think. Make this recipe on the weekend and then enjoy nutritious leftovers throughout your week.Servings: 5
Here's what you need...
- 3 bulbs garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil, gently melted
- 1 Tablespoon each minced, fresh rosemary, oregano, tarragon
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- zest and juice from one lemon
- 4 large organic carrots, cut into 2.54 cm pieces
- 3 organic zucchini, cut into 2.54 cm half-moons
- 1 cup pearl onions, ends trimmed
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 hormone-free, organic chicken
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon coconut flour
- Preheat the oven to 205 degrees C.
- Cut off the tips of each section of the garlic bulbs. Place the blubs in a small glass pan. Brush the tops with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the melted coconut oil, fresh herbs, minced garlic, lemon zest and lemon juice. Set 1/3 of the mixture aside for the veggies.
- In a large bowl combine the carrots, zucchini, pearl onions and Brussel sprouts with 1/3 of the herb mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Rinse your chicken and pat dry. Carefully slide your hand between the skin and the breast and liberally rub some of the herb mixture. Rub the rest of the herb mixture over the top of the chicken. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and tie the legs together with kitchen string. Place the chicken on a large roasting pan, and surround it with the veggies.
- Roast the chicken and veggies for 30 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 177 degrees C, pour 1/2 cup of chicken broth over the chicken and veggies, and place the garlic pan in the oven off to the side.
- For the next 90 minutes, pour 1/2 cup of broth over the chicken and veggies every 30 minutes as it cooks at 177 degrees C.
- To see if the chicken is done, poke the tip of a sharp knife between the leg and body and see that the juices run clear. Transfer the chicken and veggies to a large platter. Add a couple of the roasted garlic bulbs to the chicken platter, reserving one for the gravy.
- To make gravy: Pour all of the roasting pan juices into a pan and bring to a simmer. Remove the garlic cloves from one of the roasted blubs and smash with a fork. Add garlic to pan. Mix in the tablespoon of coconut flour, and whisk the gravy as it simmers. Cook for 10 minutes, or until desired thickness. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutritional Analysis: 251 calories, 14g fat, 113mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, and 17g protein
Motivate your friends, family and co-workers! Use the "refer a friend” link below to forward this newsletter and subscribe your friends.
Joint Seminar: Runners Knee. Dr David Munro and Gary Wagner
1 session available for $10.00
juggernautPT - Bootcamps
3 sessions available starting from $280.00
Super Bonus for next term Bootcamp. 2 weeks Free!
1 session available for $280.00
My Recent Articles
February 23, 2015
Here is a muffin that is truly packed with fiber. Whole wheat flour and wholesome cooked quinoa combine with almonds and cranberries for a moist and delicious treat. Cooked quinoa can be used in place...
Read more »
juggernautPT – February 15, 2013
This recipe makes a wonderfully healthy family meal. Use organic berries and chicken to get the most from your meal nutritionally and flavor-wise. Serve your chicken on a bed of steamed veggies or on a...
Read more »